About the Pet Industry Association of Australia (PIAA)Promoting responsible pet ownership
Established in 1979, the Pet Industry Association remains the ONLY trade-only Association within Australia, dedicated to the protection of the pet industry, and promoting responsible pet ownership.
The pet industry is very heavily regulated by Government Agencies at federal, state and local levels. There are also many animal welfare and animal rights groups within the community that want to influence or prevent us doing legitimate business. It is becoming more important that the operators within the Australian Pet Industry take greater control of their own destiny. As such, the Pet Industry Association regularly makes formal submissions on pet industry issues at the request of Government agencies and industry regulators.
There are numerous categories within PIAA membership, including RETAIL, BREEDING, GROOMING, BOARDING/DOGGY DAY CARE/ DOG TRAINING/PET SITTING, PET SERVICES, SUPPLIERS & MANUFACTURERS, ASOCIATES and STUDENTS. There are various levels of membership and fees based on a sliding scale that ensures that full membership of the Pet Industry Association remains affordable for even the smallest of business operators. Find out more about becoming a member
Each category has honorary directors voted in by the members for a three-year tenure. The Pet Industry Association also has a team of state/territory coordinators who also assist Pet Industry Association on a voluntary basis. All members have direct access to all office-bearers as well as staff of the Pet Industry Association.
A voice for the pet industry
The main benefit of Pet Industry Association membership is the ability of an individual business operator to network with their peers and also be able to make a comment through a “Peak Industry Body” to almost any regulator of the industry – and be heard!
Code of Practice
Pet Industry Association members have a National Code of Practice that was produced by members for the sole purpose of “self regulation” at the highest workable level. This Code has been very well accepted by Government and its standards exceed our regulators’ requirements. PIAA also has sector specific Standards & Guidelines.
The endorsement of educating pet industry operators and their staff via industry specific training and the acknowledgement/accreditation of members that exceed the National Code of Practice has been the major focus of the association for some time. The Pet Industry Association Accreditation scheme is in place for members to gain national recognition of their high standards.
To support our members while being the recognised and respected voice of the pet industry.
The Pet Industry Association stages a world class “trade only” PetExpo which showcases new products and services to the industry. All Pet Industry Association members, staff and family gain free admission. PetExpo is the premier event for the Australian pet industry.About PetExpo
Each year the membership is asked to consider members in their sector who may be worthy of nomination for an award of excellence. Members can self-nominate if they wish.
- PIAA Pioneer Award – The Pioneer Award is Awarded for 20 plus years’ association (with a high level of achievement) within the Australian Pet Industry, whilst retaining an active role.
- Kevin Parkes Perpetual Achievement Award – The Kevin Pakes Perpetual Achievement is awarded in recognition of service to and achievement in the Australian Pet Industry over the past 12 months.
- PIAA Retailer of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding retail performance within the industry.
- PIAA Boarder/Doggy Day Carer/Pet Sitter of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding boarding/doggy day care or Pet sitting performance within the industry.
- PIAA Dog Trainer of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding Dog Training performance within the industry.
- PIAA Breeder of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding breeding performance within the industry.
- PIAA Groomer of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding grooming performance within the industry.
- PIAA Pet Services of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding pet service performance within the industry.
- PIAA Manufacturer/Supplier of Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of outstanding manufacturing or supplying performance within the industry.
- PIAA Education Achievement Award - will be awarded based on attainment in the PIAA Ed points scheme for the past year.
All nominations are to be sent to PIAA office by COB Wednesday August 31.
Stage 1. These awards follow a nomination process (self or other). Nominations to be accompanied by an overview of achievements.
Stage 2. Nominee to accept nomination and provide answers to sector-relevant questionnaire. Points assigned to answers. Nominees are short listed for stage 3.
Stage 3. Nominees to write a short paper on their achievements and outline why they deserve to be considered for the award. Points awarded. Winner decided by highest point achievement.
Stage 4. Awards presented at 2016 PIAA Expo Conference Awards ceremony.
Other PIAA events
Additionally, the Pet Industry Association runs state and category specific events such as AusGroom and AusBoard. These events are focused at building your business. They are the best opportunity to network with fellow pet industry operators.See events calendar